Sunday, July 5, 2009


We are back and rested from our trip to Yellowstone National Park. The kids were disappointed that there was no playground at the park. We got there on Monday night after we had car problems on the way out - the bolt that held the shocks were rusted and broke when we hit a bump. Luckily we were quite close to a mechanic and he rushed to get us on our way.

Jordan and Jo had left early in the morning and grabbed us a campsite next to theirs and also very close to the bathroom. Then they cooked us a delicious dinner. While we set up our tent, the kids played in the back of the car. (Since my kids aren't the only one in the pictures, I won't be posting it but believe me, they are cute.)

The next morning we headed out and drove the northern loop. Some highlights of that are Roaring Mountain. We didn't hear it roar but it was so beautiful to see with the steam rising off it. This one was Gordon's favorite.

Across the street from Roaring Mountain there were some Elk. We actually watched these for a long time. The place they were walking was really mucky and at one point the Elk actually sunk all the way to her belly. The girls especially enjoyed watching them.

We went on to Mammoth Hot Springs and saw a lot of really pretty colorful pools.

Then we ate some ice cream at Canyon Village.

Then we hiked to the Canyon Village Falls. On the way back to our campsite we were able to see a little black bear. I didn't have my long lens on and the pictures we took didn't turn out but it was fun to see it digging in the plants and looking for food. Jared kept saying, "There's a bear! There's a black bear!" When we left the bear, he said, "I didn't get to see it." Turns out he was looking at a rock. Seth and I were sad that he didn't get to see it and we would have helped him see it. Jared was quite disappointed but there was nothing we could do to fix it.

The next day after something warm to fill our bodies, we drove the south loop. We saw a heard of buffalo. This was something I had been hoping to see and it was hard to believe how many buffalo were there. There were just so many.

We then went to one of my favorite spots and saw the Midway Geyser Basin. The pictures without being edited, do no justice to it. There was a bench you could sit on and just watch the steam. When the wind would blow just right, the steam would land on you. Of all the kids, only Mia commented on how gross that was. She still sat in it for a long time.

I think this picture looks a little fake, like we are standing in front of a picture of something. This hot pool actually emptied into a river and there were several people fishing in it. I was really interested in feeling it, but didn't because if I had, there would have been 6 kids that would have too.

I could have sat and looked at this for hours. It was just so beautiful. It is called the Large Prismatic.
I found this little nugget on the way out.

After Midway Geyser Basin, we headed on to Old Faithful. We ate our lunch while we waited for the show. It was a nice place to let the kids rest and play around. We then went out the West Thumb, part of the Yellowstone Lake.

The next day we headed to Jackson Hole, WY. On the way out we stopped at Lewis Lake because the kids have a friend named Lewis. It was all they could talk about doing when we told them we were going to Yellowstone. We ate lunch here. There were millions of mosquitoes. We were lucky and hadn't had to really deal with them until we got here, but it was just insane.

We drove through the Teton National Park and it was just beautiful.

It was a lot of fun going with Jordan and Jo and their family. It is not very often that we get to spend time with them one on one. When we go to family parties, there are just so many people there that we don't really spend time with anyone. We spend time with everyone. Our kids loved the time we spent with them and they were sad, especially Mia who had a girl to play with the whole time, when it was time to leave them.

After spending a little time in Jackson Hole, we headed on to Idaho Falls where we locked the keys in the car. Seth called a Lock Smith and he had it opened in no time.

After we relaxed in Idaho Falls, we headed to Aberdeen and went to a Campbell Family Reunion. It was so fun to see my family and spend time with them. We slept one night in my parent's back yard and then headed back home.

This was our first "real" family vacation and we had such a nice time that we are already trying to think up a great vacation spot for next year. It was just so nice to be away from all electronics and routines for a week and reconnect as a family. I loved everything about it.


Melissa said...

Sounds like you guys had tons of fun. Your family is so cute.

Jim Macdonald said...

Hey, I keep a "newspaper" on all things Yellowstone and so search for all blogs on it every day.

Enjoyed your post.

FYI, there is a playground in Yellowstone that I know of, but it's kind of hidden. It's at Mammoth Hot Springs, across the road from the campground there. There are a couple playgrounds, basketball, tennis courts ... it's for the residents at Mammoth, and so it's hidden from tourists.

I was just camping there with my little one, and we stumbled on it ... so had to hike over to it and let him play. We had the whole playground to ourselves.


The Ellis Family said...

awesome pictures. Looks like fun!

mommaquincy said...

I love the picture of you all in the "fake" background! Its really striking! I'm so glad you had fun!

TaLaisa said...

Your pictures are amazing! What a fun vacation. And 10 thumbs up for surviving a road trip with young kids. What's your secret?