Monday, February 23, 2009

It's been so long...

I haven't posted for a little over a month. It is just so easy to not blog for a day which turns into a week, which turns into a know how it gets. Suddenly blogging seems so daunting that I put it to the bottom of my "To Do" list. By typing this, I am NOT saying that I have completed my "To Do" list...

This is all just a jumble of thoughts.

Some things that I have learned this past month. My kids don't like being told what to do. I know, I know, I already knew this. I am finding that when it comes to chores, they like to choose what they are going to do. Every Saturday morning, we split up on teams. I have a master list that we go through over breakfast and as I read the chores a hand pops up for who is going to do the chore. This week I hope to make some cute cards with the chores listed on them and then I will simply hand the card to the team working on the chore. I still ask them to help with things throughout the week, this just gets the deeper cleaning that is necessary done.

Over Valentines Day Seth and I went to Houston Texas. It was nice to have a little get away. My mom came down from Idaho and stayed with our kids while we were gone. I was a little anxious when I asked her to come and I had a whole list of reasons why she should come. When I asked her, she said "Yes" so quickly that I didn't get to use any of reasons I had planned to get her here. The kids had a great time. It was nice that they were able to stay home and have that comfort and we didn't have to really impose or double any ones family for the extended weekend which was nice. Mia told me that my mom was "kind of more fun" than me.

Seth and I had a nice time. We spent Saturday in Galveston and it rained like crazy on us. We went to an aquarium and had a nice time just going at our own pace and not having to worry where the kids were or what they were doing. That was nice. It was hard to look at anything and not think about how much the kids would have enjoyed it. We went on a ride film that was some cartoon about getting attacked by a giant squid and I missed Jared. He just finished reading a book about the very thing and had been filling me with information the week before we left.

Sunday we spent the afternoon/evening with Seth's cousins. We really had a nice time and a delicious meal with them. I haven't really spent much time with them and it was fun for me to get to know them better. It really was a great trip.

On Sunday (Yesterday) things were a little rough getting ready for church. I was feeling frazzled and frustrated when we got into the chapel and were sitting down. I sat down and just said a little prayer that I would be able to feel the Spirit while I was at church. It was Ward Conference, so the Bishop spoke and the kids were being a little better than usual. It was announced that the men could sing a song and then Sister Leary would bear her testimony. I hadn't been listening with both ears so when everyone was looking at me, I leaned forward and asked if they said Sister Leary would bear her testimony or Mister Leary. I bore my testimony and sat back down. It wasn't any thing really amazing and the kids were really naughty after that, but it got me thinking about my testimony and where I am with it. Also, since I was thinking about that so much I guess, it really got me focused on the Savior and the incredible blessing he gave us by giving up his life for us. I really felt the Spirit through the remainder of the meetings. Seth at one point made a comment. After church he asked me if he was rambling. All I could tell him was that I was just so overwhelmed by the Spirit that I wouldn't have noticed if he had. It was a great experience for me and a great meeting for me as well.

I am happy to report that life is good in the Leary home. We are working one day at a time to figure things out and it takes all of us to work on it together, but at least we are working on it.

No comments: